Wednesday, July 6, 2011

"I Wanna Sex You Up," Color Me Badd

If this video wasn’t the inspiration for Lonely Island's “Dick In A Box,” I don’t know what is:




Tik-tok, please stop!  Yes, Color Me Badd’s “I Wanna Sex You Up” had all the hallmarks of an early 90s slow jam.  There were coordinating outfits, awkward dance moves, and, of course, cringeworthy lyrics.  (My personal favorite:  “Don’t be shy, girl, rescue me/Open up your heart and I’ll set you free).  And if that wasn’t enough, we also had the all-important spoken word section, where one of the members of Color Me Badd implores you to not say anything and “just lay back and enjoy the ride.”  Sexy, right?

The video doesn’t stray too far from the lyrics.  It follows the four guys of Color Me Badd as they seduce various women in different parts of an office building – all of which is watched by someone else.  In hindsight, the video seems fairly racy for its time, but maybe it wasn’t considered controversial because it was slathered in oodles of cheese.

“I Wanna Sex You Up” is probably the song for which Color Me Badd is best remembered, but they had several other hits, including “All 4 Love” and “I Adore Mi Amor.”  The group disbanded in 2000.  

No comments:

Post a Comment