Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Hip Hop Hooray," Naughty by Nature

My first exposure to “Hip Hop Hooray” was not on MTV or even on radio – it was at a baseball game.  The song was often used to pump up fans in support of my home team – and I was instantly hooked.  Knowing how much I loved it, an older cousin bought me Naughty By Nature’s 19 Naughty III as a gift.  It was my first rap cassette and would later disappear under mysterious circumstances. (I suspect the gigantic parental advisory sticker had something to do with it)...but I never forgot the song. 



Rewatching the video (directed by Spike Lee – who knew?), I realize now, of course, that there’s a lot more to “Hip Hop Hooray” than its “hey-oh” chorus.  It plays as a slice-of-life piece, showing Naughty by Nature as they perform and mingle with the crowd (including Queen Latifah and Run DMC).  The song samples from The Isley Brothers’ “Make Me Say It Again Girl,” creating a beat perfect for Naughty by Nature’s flawless flow.  Indeed, their ode to women and hip-hop almost gets lost in the rhythm, but there’s more than a few choice lines to be found. (My favorite comes from Treach:  “even when I’m sleeping/you think I’m cheating.”). 

With all these combined elements, it’s easy to see how “Hip Hop Hooray” was successful both on the R&B and pop charts.  And its success would pave the way for the many crossover hits that would dominate radio and MTV for the remainder of the 90s.  

No comments:

Post a Comment